Gastric cough is a consequence of digestive diseases. It is provoked by inflammation of the mucous membranes, hypotension (muscle weakness) of the pylorus of the stomach, dysbiosis, helminthic invasions, etc. The treatment and symptoms of gastric cough differ from the manifestations and principles of the treatment of respiratory diseases. Its appearance is more associated with the penetration of hydrochloric acid from the stomach into the lower respiratory tract.
Causes and features of pathology
To find out if there can be a cough with pathologies of the stomach, one should consider the mechanism of its appearance. Coughing attacks accompanied by an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth cannot be considered an independent disease. Reflex contraction of the bronchi, trachea and other parts of the respiratory tract occurs in response to irritation of the mucous membranes.
Cough in diseases of the stomach appears as a result of the action of gastric juice on cough receptors in the respiratory tract. It includes hydrochloric acid, which provokes a burn of the respiratory mucosa. Because of this, the sensitivity of sensory receptors increases, upon irritation of which the cough center is activated.
Gastric cough occurs against a background of a number of diseases, due to which the contents of the stomach enter the throat through the esophagus:
- Gastritis is an inflammation of the gastric mucosa. Most often, due to the multiplication of infection, drug abuse, poor nutrition, etc.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a pathology accompanied by reflux into the esophagus and respiratory tract of the gastric contents. It occurs due to a decrease in the tone of the lower esophagus sphincter. Because of this, the mucous membrane of the ENT organs swells and coughing attacks appear.
- Esophagitis is an inflammation of the mucous membrane of the esophagus that occurs with a chemical burn, infection of the mucosa, radiation therapy. After eating, regurgitation (reverse movement) of the contents of the stomach in the direction of the mouth is often observed. With esophagitis, patients complain of heartburn, belching, coughing, an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth.
- Tumors Benign and malignant tumors in the gastric mucosa interfere with the normal advancement of its contents into the duodenum 12. When the lower sphincter is blocked by neoplasms, the food component penetrates the respiratory organs, provoking a cough reaction.
- Heartburn - uncomfortable burning sensations in the chest area caused by an increase in the acidity of the gastric secretion. Occurring against a background of esophagitis, gastric ulcer, or gastroesophageal disease, the cough is spastic in nature. From heartburn and the penetration of gastric juice into the respiratory tract, an acidic taste appears in the mouth.
Sometimes a cough is provoked by food poisoning, helminthic infestations, alcoholism, poor diet, etc. All these factors negatively affect the functioning of the digestive tract, which subsequently causes coughing attacks.
Characteristic symptoms of gastric cough
If the cough is caused by a violation of the motility of the esophagus, it is not accompanied by the typical symptoms of a cold - a runny nose, headache, wheezing in the lungs, etc. Manifestations of the disease worsen when you eat, bend or lie down, and also after physical exertion.
Coughing from the stomach in adults is accompanied by:
- sour burp
- hoarseness of voice
- white coating on the tongue,
- bad taste in your mouth
- severe sore throat,
- burning in the lower chest.
With GERD and tumorous diseases of the stomach, the severity of coughing attacks and concomitant symptoms does not change when taking medication or food. Patients are concerned about abdominal cramps, dyspeptic disorders, and vomiting. A cough in a child is often spastic in nature and is not accompanied by sputum removal. With an increase in intragastric pressure, belching, seething in the intestine, and sharp pains appear.
In case of intoxication of the body against the background of food poisoning or parasitic infections, complaints about paroxysmal unproductive cough, fatigue, dry throat, intermittent breathing appear. Pathologies of the stomach and intestines require adequate treatment. Untimely assistance is fraught with complications - an ulcer of the esophagus or its narrowing (strictures).
A cough caused by pathologies of the stomach is diagnosed by a gastroenterologist. To identify the causes of its occurrence and violations in the work of the digestive tract, they resort to these types of examinations:
- esophagus endoscopy - reveals erosion, ulcers, hernias and narrowings in the digestive canal,
- manometric research - determines changes in the tone of the lower sphincter of the stomach,
- impedanometry - reveals refluxes of various nature, disorders in the motility of the esophagus,
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity - determines the structural changes in the digestive tract.
To reveal a cough with gastritis of the stomach, GREB and parasitic diseases, a detailed blood test is done. Bernstein's test and coprogram (fecal analysis) can distinguish reflux disease from chronic gastritis and peptic ulcer.
With a sore throat or pharynx, an ENT doctor consultation is necessary. Mucosal burns caused by gastric juice are often complicated by laryngitis or pharyngitis. When diseases are detected, patients are prescribed antacids - drugs that eliminate excessive stomach acidity.
How to treat stomach cough
If coughing occurs due to problems with the digestive organs, complex therapy is carried out. In order to cure the disease and eliminate the accompanying manifestations, the patient is prescribed:
- taking medication
- medical diet
- surgical intervention.
Operations are resorted to with advanced diseases of the stomach and complications requiring surgical intervention.
With timely medical attention, conservative treatment is sufficient, which is aimed at eliminating inflammation and normalizing the motor function of the esophagus.
Diet and lifestyle
Cough is only a symptom of gastrointestinal tract pathologies. To eliminate it, it is necessary to restore the functions of the digestive system. To do this, restrict the intake of products that have an irritating effect on the respiratory tract, stomach and esophagus. To improve the condition of the digestive tract, it is necessary:
- refuse to eat foods that stimulate the secretion of gastric juice (coffee, ear, spices, meat broths),
- limit the intake of vegetables that increase the acidity of gastric juice (sorrel, cabbage, rutabaga, spinach),
- refuse fried meat in favor of steam cutlets, boiled beef,
- to use liquid food - cream soups, cereals, mashed potatoes.
Treatment for gastric cough will not be effective if you do not change your lifestyle. To achieve positive results, you should abandon fast food, canning, smoking, drinking alcohol. Moderate physical activity has a beneficial effect on intestinal motility. Therefore, during treatment it is recommended to do gymnastics, swimming, and fitness.
Cough with heartburn, reflux disease and gastritis is treated with drugs that lower the acidity of the juice in the stomach and tone up the smooth muscle of the intestines. To eliminate an unpleasant symptom, the following drugs are prescribed:
- Prokinetics (Raglan, Mosid, Tserukal) - stimulate intestinal motility and increase the tone of the lower stomach sphincter. This prevents the regurgitation of gastric juice in the ENT organs and the appearance of cough.
- Antisecretory (Famotidine, Tagamet, Ranitidin) - stop the excessive production of acid in the stomach, heal the mucous membrane. Medicines fight the manifestations of GREB and prevent the penetration of the food coma into the respiratory system. Thanks to this, coughing attacks and an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth are eliminated.
- Sorbents (Enterosgel, Atoxil, Polysorb) - cleanse the body of toxic substances, which helps to restore the functions of the stomach. Prevent intoxication and the appearance of vomiting. This reduces the risk of irritation of the mucous ENT organs with gastric juice.
The pathologies of the stomach caused by the Helicobacter pylori bacterium are treated with antibiotics - Clarithromycin, Amoxicillin, Tetracycline, etc. For the relief of cough with GERD in children, antitussive drugs are used - Terpincod, Libexin, Codelac. To prevent dehydration and disruption of the water-electrolyte balance, the child is given Humana Electrolyte, Smecta, Regidron.
Sometimes you can get rid of gastric cough only surgically. The decision to perform the operation is made by doctors of various specializations - pulmonologists, gastroenterologists, surgeons, hepatologists, etc. In severe reflux esophagitis, fundoplication is performed. It is performed by the laparoscopic method, that is, through small holes in the abdominal cavity.
The operation involves wrapping the bottom of the stomach around the esophagus. Due to this, a cuff is formed, which prevents the penetration of gastric contents into the ENT organs. After surgery, the cough with pain in the stomach completely disappears. Thanks to the restoration of the pharyngeal mucosa, concomitant respiratory complications are eliminated - pharyngitis, laryngitis.
Before treating a cough for gastrointestinal diseases with folk remedies, it is necessary to obtain the permission of a doctor. Some foods and herbs increase the acidity of the stomach, which is fraught with aggravation of the condition.
To eliminate gastric cough, apply:
- Honey with olive oil. In equal proportions, flower honey is mixed with olive oil. To eliminate heartburn and manifestations of GREB, take 1 tsp. means before meals three times a day.
- Potato juice. Fresh potatoes are crushed, juice is squeezed out of it using gauze. With a strong cough and an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth, take 150 ml on an empty stomach once a day.
- Flaxseeds. 1 tbsp. l seed pour 350 ml of water and boil for 10 minutes. 20 minutes before a meal, drink 100 ml of broth 3 times a day.
- Milk and mummy. In 1 cup of warm milk add 1/4 tsp. mummy powder. With spastic cough, take twice a day - in the morning and in the evening.
To reduce irritation of the gastric mucosa, it is recommended to drink 300 ml per day of decoction from the collection of herbs - sage, chamomile, licorice, plantain. They have anti-inflammatory and enveloping effects, eliminating inflammation. With a systematic intake of the decoction, cough, heartburn, sour belching is eliminated.
What is dangerous pathology
Heartburn and cough are symptoms that indicate impaired intestinal motility. If they occur, you should consult a doctor. Delayed treatment of gastrointestinal pathologies is fraught with serious complications:
- diaphragmatic hernia,
- stomach ulcer
- pulmonary fibrosis,
- laryngeal cancer
- narrowing of the esophagus.
Coughing for stomach cancer requires immediate treatment with chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Malignant tumors grow rapidly, affecting neighboring organs - the esophagus, liver, pancreas, lungs.
Gastrointestinal diseases pose a threat not only to health, but also to life. Therefore, it is impossible to ignore their manifestations - heartburn, belching, abdominal pain, cough.
Is there a cough with gastrointestinal pathologies?
In children and adults, the relationship between cough and digestive tract disorders is observed quite often. Problems can occur with a sick stomach, esophagus and other organs of the gastrointestinal tract. Such a cough is not accompanied by sputum, as a rule, it is dry and it is difficult for a person to cough. Signs of a cold are not detected, but at the same time a person is constantly tired, feels weak and loses his ability to work.
What is the associated pathological symptom: the main causes
Gastric cough is more often observed in people 35–40 years of age, as well as in those who abuse tobacco products and alcohol.
In childhood, heartburn and cough are the result of an underdeveloped digestive system or the development of gastrointestinal anomalies. In an adult, the deviation manifests itself against the background of a failure in the diet, peptic ulcer and other pathologies of the internal digestive organs. There are such reasons due to which there are symptoms of gastric cough:
- signs of gastroesophageal reflux,
- the appearance of infectious foci,
- helminth infection,
- disturbed microflora of the stomach and intestines,
- chronic inflammatory process of the mucous membrane of the organ,
- rectal pathology,
- liver dysfunction
- penetration of a foreign object into the esophagus,
- neoplasms in the gastrointestinal tract,
- low quality food intake,
- food poisoning,
- with increased acidity.
How it manifests: important symptoms
Coughing with a stomach ulcer and other digestive problems is different from the signs of a common cold. In patients with a disease of the digestive tract, as a rule, body temperature remains normal or rises very slightly. A particularly strong symptom is observed at night or when a person takes a horizontal position of the body. It is impossible to cure a stomach cough using Mukaltin and other drugs. With a different pathological condition, a different clinical picture is presented, presented in the table:
How is the diagnosis carried out?
Coughing with gastritis and other pathologies requires an urgent appeal to a gastroenterologist. The doctor will find out additional clinical signs and prescribe a comprehensive examination, including such procedures:
- X-ray images of the lungs, which are required to rule out pneumonia and tuberculosis,
- ultrasound diagnostics of the abdominal cavity and pelvic organs,
- fibrogastroscopic examination,
- general and biochemical examination of blood and urine,
- analysis of feces for the determination of worms and hidden blood,
How to treat?
Gastric cough is required to be eliminated comprehensively after finding out the cause of its appearance. If necessary, a correction of the diet is prescribed, in which it is important to abandon harmful dishes and eliminate products that cause gas accumulation. If the deviation is associated with dysbiosis, it is necessary to restore the microflora of the stomach and intestines through probiotics and prebiotics. The patient is prescribed "Mukaltin" and other antitussive drugs to eliminate dryness and sore throat.
It is strictly forbidden to take medications for gastric cough at your own discretion, so you can aggravate the course of the underlying disease.
In case of violation, it is required to drink drugs of different effects, which are aimed directly at the source of the deviation. Treatment of gastric cough is carried out using the following medicines, presented in the table:
Treatment with folk remedies
It is possible to stop a gastric cough using unconventional therapeutic measures. Before carrying out it is required to consult a doctor in order to avoid negative consequences. Treatment with folk remedies involves the use of such recipes:
- Olive oil, honey and lemon juice. Products are taken in a proportion of 250 ml: 100 g: 2 tsp.The substances are thoroughly mixed and taken on a teaspoon before eating.
- Mummy. Mix 0.5 g of the main component with a glass of warm milk. Drink 2 times a day before a meal. Such a medicine has a softening effect and soothes a prolonged cough.
- Potato juice. It helps with pathology that has arisen against the background of increased acidity. Fresh liquid should be drunk half a cup in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Picking herbs. From chamomile, licorice root, plantain and sage, a decoction is prepared against gastric cough. The tool envelops the mucous membrane of the organ and does not allow pathogenic organisms to negatively affect it. The medicine is insisted for several hours, after which it is taken orally 2-3 times a day.
Is it possible to warn?
It is possible to prevent coughing with stomach diseases by regularly observing preventive recommendations. Every day you should eat meat and fish of low-fat varieties, include more fruits, vegetables and other healthy dishes in the diet. It is important to observe the diet, excluding snacks, eating on the go and in front of a computer or TV. After a meal, it is recommended to walk, take a walk in the fresh air for about half an hour. Do not take a horizontal position of the body, as this increases the chances of heartburn and gastric cough. A light warm-up is performed daily, which improves digestive function and positively affects the general condition of the patient.
What is a gastric cough and the causes of its manifestation
If coughing is not accompanied by symptoms characteristic of the common cold, such as fever, runny nose, soreness, and sore throat, exclude digestive tract pathology.
What is the connection between the cough reflex and diseases of the stomach? Indigestion is often accompanied by the discharge of the contents of the stomach into the esophagus, the mucous membrane of which is irritated and inflamed. This process causes a feeling of discomfort in the chest, which provokes a reduction in the larynx.
The disease is characterized by the absence of sputum, which is often replaced by belching. Additional features are:
- chest pain
- general weakness, malaise
More often attacks are worse at night or in a horizontal position. It is impossible to cure such a pathology with mucolytics or bronchodilators.
It is important! Due to problems with the gastrointestinal tract, cough is not isolated into a separate disease, it manifests itself along with other signs inherent in diseases of the digestive tract.
The cause of gastric cough in children is often anomalies in the development of the digestive system. In adults, the cough reflex is manifested against the background of the progression of the following diseases:
- Gastroesophageal disease of the stomach (GERD) or gastroesophageal reflux. With gastroesophageal disease, coughing occurs immediately after a meal, is paroxysmal. Sputum is absent, but with a cough reflex in patients there is a belching with an unpleasant odor, which is accompanied by pain when swallowing, heartburn. When the pathological process is chronic, a reduction in the larynx appears periodically with the use of substances aggressive to the gastric environment (acidic, spicy, salty). At night, the disease provokes respiratory failure.
- Infectious diseases. With infection of the digestive tract, a prolonged manifestation of an unproductive, debilitating cough reflex is noted.
- Enterovirus infection. In addition to coughing, it is accompanied by a number of characteristic symptoms, such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal cramps
- Peptic ulcer. A cough symptom with a stomach ulcer manifests itself as well as with GERD, but 1-2 hours after a meal. This phenomenon is associated with an increase in gastric acidity. With peptic ulcer, cough accompanies a number of specific symptoms, as well as pain in the stomach
- Gastritis. Lack of a balanced diet, stress, bad habits - the scourge of modern society. This lifestyle provokes degenerative changes in the epithelial tissues of the stomach, and also changes the acidic environment. Thus, cough with gastritis manifests itself in the form of a symptom of an irritated gastric mucosa. In addition, gastritis is accompanied by the following symptoms: an unpleasant taste in the mouth, increased salivation, nausea after eating, impaired appetite, and stool disorders. The main signs, including coughing with gastritis, go away as the disease is treated.
Also, the cough reflex is often manifested against the background of helminthiasis, dysbiosis, with tumor processes in the gastrointestinal tract, with the ingress of foreign bodies or food poisoning.
Self-diagnosis and treatment of the disease can cause irreparable damage to health. Therefore, when a cough appears, aggravated by painful symptoms in the epigastric region or in the intestine, a visit to a gastroenterologist should be immediate.
Symptoms of gastric cough
It was noted above that the signs, symptoms and treatment of gastric cough are directly dependent on the etiology of the disease. In this case, regardless of the disease of the stomach, a number of common symptoms are distinguished:
- impaired breathing, worse lying down
- post-meal cough reflex
- sore throat: sore, burning
- bad taste, bad breath
- gastrointestinal motility: vomiting, nausea, belching, heartburn
- stool disorders: diarrhea, constipation, bloating
- chronic fatigue syndrome, malaise
Such symptoms in the history more accurately differentiate gastric pathology.
Gastric cough: symptoms in children
Digestive tract disorders in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in children, especially of primary school and preschool age, are difficult to symptomatically diagnose. This is due to the fact that the baby is more difficult to describe their feelings. Therefore, parents need to pay attention to the following symptoms:
- wheezing and intermittent breathing, especially during sleep
- blueness of face due to difficulty breathing
- intensifying cough reflex at night
- bloating, flatulence, accompanied by abdominal pain
If at the same time cough urges are not amenable to expectorant therapy and are accompanied by symptoms of digestive organs pathology, parents should immediately contact a medical institution for a detailed diagnosis of the cause of the cough in the child.
An accurate diagnosis and identification of the causes of the cough reflex is carried out by the doctor by collecting information in the anamnesis, as well as through a series of laboratory and clinical studies. Modern diagnostic methods include such studies:
- peritoneal echoscopy
- Ultrasound of the digestive tract
- radiography of the airways
- Digestive tract MRI
Also required are the tests:
- blood (general, biochemistry)
- kala (for egg-list, tank sowing, coprogram)
Only on time diagnostics and treatment of pathology will help to give an objective assessment of the patient's health and relieve him of coughing.
Methods of treating gastric cough in adults and children
How and how to treat gastric cough? If the stomach hurts, when you cough or the stomach hurts when coughing, drug therapy and alternative treatment methods come to the rescue.
It is important! The use of medicines, as well as the use of traditional medicine to eliminate cough and pain in the intestines, must be agreed with the attending physician. Self-treatment can aggravate the symptomatic picture and harm the patient's health!
The tactics of treatment are aimed at eliminating the root cause of the cough symptom, alleviating pain in the digestive tract, and normalizing general well-being. More often treated with medications. Surgical intervention is indicated only with advanced forms of the disease or with the ineffectiveness of traditional methods of treatment.
Traditional medicine methods are successfully used in the treatment of gastric cough. They harmoniously complement the basic treatment and do not require special physical and material costs.
It is important! Folk remedies are used only as an addition to the main treatment, but in no case do not replace it!
Overview of popular tools:
- For the treatment of diseases of the digestive tract, it is useful to use potato juice. Take juice in the morning, 100 g before meals.
- The benefit is given by the reception of the mummy. The match head of the substance is added to warm milk. You need to drink such a remedy twice a day.
- Herbs based on herbs: chamomile, plantain, sage, licorice will help normalize respiratory function and eliminate the symptoms of the digestive tract
- The treatment of the disease is supplemented with a mixture of honey and olive oil. The proportion is taken 1: 2.5. It is recommended to add a couple teaspoons of lemon juice to the mixture. Store the home remedy in the refrigerator and take a teaspoon before each meal.
In the future, folk recipes are used for preventive purposes.
After treatment of the disease, maintaining a healthy lifestyle becomes necessary. A healthy lifestyle means:
- moderate physical activity
- balanced fractional diet
Such simple rules will help consolidate treatment, prevent a relapse of the disease and support the patient's immunity.